[pure-silver] Re: Kodak vs Ilford

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:21:33 -0700

At 10:28 AM 3/21/2008, you wrote:
Richard,  I appreciate your taking the time to say all that.  I
hadn't a clue before what "toe" meant, but now I see.  Anyway, I want
you to know that I intend to read this again and more thoughtfully -
so you know your time isn't wasted.  I'm off and running now but may
comment in response late.  Thanks again!

Janet

If you can find one of the older Kodak film data books they have a very good and understandable exposition of film curves and tone reproduction in them. Another source is C.E.K. Mees's famous book _Theory of the Photographic Process_, this has a good chapter on tone rendition based on the work of Loyd A. Jones of Kodak Labs. Mees book is quite technical and some of the chemistry is outdated but the section on tone reproduction is still valid and does not require much specialized knowledge. Jones, with associates from Kodak Labs, carried out extensive research into tone reproduction, practical film speed, and similar subjects over some three decades. Jones' original papers are scattered around several scientific and technical journals but are well summarized in Mees's book. Mees was the founder and long time head of the Kodak Research Laboratories. (And, BTW, the man who recommended that Kodak reject the Xerox process when it was brought to them.)