[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:48:44 -0500 (EST)

From: Craig Schroeder <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:30:05 -0600

> I've been getting slightly high BF+ with faster films and DS-10 (using
> Dimezone-S).  My last few rolls of HP5+ and Delta 400 have run from .33 to
> .40.  I'm not having this issue with PanF and FP4 and wonder what, if
> anything could moderate this with the faster emulsions?  Normally I wouldn't
> worry about it but some darkroom equipment I'm adapting to is easier to
> control with less general fog/staining.

Are you talking about fog itself or base plus fog? If you are saying
that the net fog is 0.33 that's unusually high.
Also, did you check that the solution pH is at the target?
(If the pH is higher, set the pH to 8.0 with boric acid.)

Is the fog level with DS-10 significantly higher than what you get
with D-76? Many 400 speed films have slightly higher fog but I think
they are associated with the way the emulsion is sensitized.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."