[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, stane.kocar@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:46:21 -0500 (EST)

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:54:46 -0500 (EST)

> From: Stane Ko=E8ar <stane.kocar@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] High B+F with DS-10
> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:02:08 +0100

> > A few days ago I made Ryuji's DS-10 developer. Since I dont have
> Dime= zone S, > I added proper amount of Phenidone direct to the
> working solution (as= Ryuji > suggested). I developed a few films
> and noticed, that B+F of the deve= loped > films (Ilford Pan 400) is
> pretty high (higher than in any developer I= used > so far in thirty
> years (Rodinal, HC-110, Microphen, A-49, DS-1, DS-2.= ..). I > don't
> have densitometer, so all as I can tell is that contacts needed= 1/2
> a > stop more light to produce black on the film edges.  > Is this
> normal?

> Not really. DS-10 has rather high fog, but the fog is about comparable
> to D-76 or XTOL with films I tried. I have some test films that were
> developed with Phenidone in DS-10, so let me check if they have any
> higher fog than Dimezone S.

Forgot to come back to this thread. Phenidone produced higher fog than
Dimezone S.  I checked the literature again, this was also noted by
Axford and Kendall in 1956. Phenidone is more active than several
substituted versions. Dimezone S is almost as active as the original
Phenidone but with lower level of fog.

I think supply of Dimezone S is improving and I hear yet another
company is trying to get some in stock. I think this is a good thing.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."