[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:16:24 -0500

Although a colorless base is best, when projected as a slide the color of the
film base is not very distracting.

Both the MACO and Foma films are available in 35mm.  The Fomapan R is available
from J&C Photo.

For reversal processing the first developer can be Kodak D-19 with 1.5 g of
sodium thiocyanate per liter added.  Most any ferricyanide, dichromate or
permanganate bleach can be used.  The second developer can be Dektol or even
sodium sulfide toner (for sepia tones).  J&C Photo gives instructions and
formulae for Fomapan R and there are many sites on the web describing the
reversal of other films.

The Fomapan R looks the best as far as I can tell.  You have detailed
instructions, the ISO rating is 100, and it's intended for making B&W slides.
The price is also reasonable $3.89 for 36 exposures.

I purchased my Eastman film from the www.filmemporium.com in New York City.
Don't order from their website, but call them directly as their stock changes
day by day.  Ask to talk to Tsila (pronounced Sheela) as she is the most capable
one there.  Ask first if they have any "short ends" (< 250 ft) as they are the
cheapest at $0.10 a foot.  (What you are buying is fresh, in date film which has
been left on the spool after shooting.  What left is too short for use.  These
various length "ends" are bought by companies like Film Emporium and resold.)
Next cheapest are "medium ends" (250 to 400 feet) at $0.15 a foot and then "long
ends" (400 to 1000 feet) at $0.20.  Be aware that B&W is not used that much and
they may not have any "ends" in stock.  You may have to call more than once over
several weeks.  There are other similar companies but I have not dealt with
them.  At $0.10 a foot these films are a real bargain and capable of producing
excellent prints.  IMHO 5231 is far better than Plus-X or any other medium speed
film available today.  5222 is very comparable to Tri-X.  The official Kodak ISO
ratings of these films is a bit misleading as they are rated to produce low
contrast negatives intended for printing on rather high contrast positive film.
As a still film 5231 should be rated at an EI of 125 and 5222 at 400.  Just
think of them as Plus-X and Tri-X.