[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10

  • From: Craig Schroeder <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:30:05 -0600

I've been getting slightly high BF+ with faster films and DS-10 (using
Dimezone-S).  My last few rolls of HP5+ and Delta 400 have run from .33 to
.40.  I'm not having this issue with PanF and FP4 and wonder what, if
anything could moderate this with the faster emulsions?  Normally I wouldn't
worry about it but some darkroom equipment I'm adapting to is easier to
control with less general fog/staining.

Ryuji Suzuki wrote: From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>[1] Subject:
[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10 Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:54:46 -0500
(EST) From: Stane Ko=E8ar <stane.kocar@xxxxxxxx>[2] Subject: [pure-silver]
High B+F with DS-10 Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:02:08 +0100 A few days ago I
made Ryuji's DS-10 developer. Since I dont have Dime= zone S, >I added
properamount of Phenidone direct to the working solution (as= Ryuji
>suggested). I developed a few films and noticed, that B+F of the deve=
loped>films (Ilford Pan 400) is pretty high (higher than in any developer I=
used >so far in thirty years (Rodinal, HC-110, Microphen, A-49, DS-1, DS-2.=
..). I >don't have densitometer, so all as I can tell is that contacts
needed= 1/2 a >stop more light to produce black on the film edges. >Is this
normal? Not really. DS-10 has rather high fog, but the fog is about
comparable to D-76 or XTOL with films I tried. I have some test films that
were developed with Phenidone in DS-10, so let me check if they have any
higher fog than Dimezone S. Forgot to come back to this thread. Phenidone
produced higher fog than Dimezone S. I checked the literature again, this
wasalso noted by Axford and Kendall in 1956. Phenidone is more active than
several substituted versions. Dimezone S is almost as active as the original
Phenidone but with lower level of fog. I think supply of Dimezone S is
improving and I hear yet another company is trying to get some in stock. I
think this is a good thing. -- Ryuji Suzuki "Keep a good head and always
carry a light camera."

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   2 mailto:stane.kocar@xxxxxxxx