[pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:01:23 -0500 (EST)

From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: High B+F with DS-10
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:49:33 -0500

> Doesn't fericyanide disolve AgX as well as Ag?

The problem with ferricyanide bleach is that it leaves insoluble
silver compounds in situ, which is developed in the second
developer. So the purpose of bleaching is not achieved.

> Stipulated.  I just wondered if anyone, perhaps outside the US or
> western Europe where ployester base may not be readily available,
> might be still using it.

Oh it's still used for motion picture. But for still I don't see a
reason to use triacetate over polyester. Acetate or triacetate is
inferior in terms of dimensional stability and archival property.
There is a whole field of preserving triacetate films.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."