[pure-silver] Re: At long last you can watch Long Live Film

  • From: deebel <deebel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:03:48 +0000

Okay my take......

I shoot the subject and capture the image. I make the picture with post processing either wet or digital

A photo shoot (not a photo make) involving large £$£ budget, models locations etc. Usually quantified in "rolls shot"

Shots are taken, Pictures are made. All snapshots are shots but not all shots are snapshots.

The term snapshot was in existence well before the proliferation of photography. It refered to an instinctive shot e.g. a pair of ducks fly out of a copse without warning and the hunter reacting with a snapshot...no evaluation, adjustment, consideration..just a loaded cocked gun in hand point and shoot. The philosophy behind the appearance of snapsot cameras was the same (and consider that the early photographers were not the poor but generally the huntin, shootin, fishin set) a fixed focus lens, possibly single speed shutter and perhaps a choice of aperture for sunny and cloudy. The snapshot was to be taken anywhere, opportunely without careful setup.

Dave

On 19/11/2013 17:34, Bill wrote:
Oh, Michael - you and I really don’t see eye to eye. First of all, could you
please define “post-modern photographers”? Is that a group? An organization?
Photographers bounded by the years in which they’re active? “School of f/64” I
understand; “post-modern”, I don’t.

Question: why on earth should a picture be a “beautiful object” to have value?
What is not valid about “ideas” expressed through photography? You probably
really hate Diane Arbus! As much as I loathe Picasso (there - I said it!),
“Guernica” has no beauty about it, but it’s certainly “art”.

I think that the bottom line here is that I have to challenge your assumption that a
photograph - *any* photograph - can be only "about what they are of - and
nothing more”. It’s rare to see a photograph that isn’t much, much more than the sum
of its subject matter. I happen to think that Arbus - and Ansel - were pretty damn
good photographers!

-Bill

On Nov 19, 2013, at 1:50 AM, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee
<michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The word "image" came into common usage when referring to photographs with the
post-modern photographers. They are not concerned with pictures as beautiful objects; they are
involved with "ideas" and invariably their photographs are indeed about what they are
of--and nothing more. This is a debasement of art, reflection of where our so-called society has
slithered (to quote my favorite poet).

Michael