[pure-silver] Re: At long last you can watch Long Live Film

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 07:32:21 -0500

On 11/19/2013 01:40 AM, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee wrote:
> The first definition of "image"—a representation of the external form of
> a person or thing in art.
>
> That also is very true and would apply to many photographs as well, but
> that definition implies that all the work of art is--in this case a
> photograph-- is only a representation of what has been photographed. I
> certainly cannot speak for anyone else, but when my wife, Paula Chamlee
> and I make photographs we always want the photograph "to be more than
> what it is of" (to quote Paula). We want it to allude to life rhythms.
> Example: Edward Weston's pepper #30 is not only "a representation of the
> external form of a thing," It is that, surely, but it is so much more
> than that, No one in their right mind, I hope, would refer to that
> photograph as an "image." To do so, implies a lessening of the
> resonances that may be found in a work of art.
>
> Michael

I guess what "image" means is different to different people.
Eugene Atget considered himself an "imagier" (a maker of images). He
seen to have thought himself a maker of these images as record-shots for
the use of artists (painters). But in my opinion, his images were much
more than records of what happened in front of his camera. I do not
really know if he knew how great a photographer he was, and if he was
just unusually modest. But if Atget was just an imagier, I would be
proud to be as good a one as he.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 ^^-^^ 07:25:01 up 15 days, 9:46, 2 users, load average: 4.23, 4.59, 4.50