[projectaon] Re: Chasm of Doom Mines and Vision

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:20:43 +0000

On 16/02/2010 17:52, Timothy Pederick wrote:
Okay, I've done a lot of digging through the sections that follow, and
come to some conclusions.

I have to disagree with the footnote as it stands. From Lone Wolf's
perspective, you /don't/ need to take the Tinderbox with you, because
you can just light the new torch from the old one before it runs out. If
at some point he /lost/ his lit torch, it's a different story -- as can
indeed happen in s.117. But that alone isn't reason to make them take
the Tinderbox if they take multiple torches, because pointing it out
here is a spoiler. Better would just be to remind the player that they
/could/ take the Tinderbox, if they /wanted/ to. (It's Chekhov's
Tinderbox <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun>!)

The problem is, the book /does/ assume (in s.281 and s.322) that Lone
Wolf has a means of relighting his Torch. Therefore we ought to force
the player to take the Tinderbox, whether they take one Torch or many!

In view of this and Rob Wellock's comments:

Concerning the Mines I've come to the conclusion; you are SUPPOSED to
pick-up the torch (EVEN if you have the Firesphere) and it needn't be
counted as a backpack item as you are holding it, etc. Obviously later
you can use the Firesphere or us it in place of tinder, and yes it can
be referred to as a [t]orch because a dictionary definition would be a
light-source.

If think really Joe meant to put one of those statements where LW
decides it would be a "good idea" (you need not [or must] discard
another item in its favour) type of scenario. As well as forgetting
you could posses the Firesphere too. So personally I think you should
change the text to say you HAVE to pick up one even if you have the
Firesphere but the Firesphere can be used in later sections within the
mines, etc.

How about adapting the footnote thusly: "For the sake of continuity with subsequent sections, you are assumed to take a Torch into the mine here, even if you are carrying an alternate means of providing illumination. If you decide to take the Tinderbox with you into the mine, record it on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item."