[projectaon] Re: Chasm of Doom Mines and Vision

  • From: <ch.honza@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:05:55 +0100

I also added Maaken Miner -> Maaken Mines (book 16)

Jan

On 20/02/2010 19:49, Simon Osborne wrote:
> Jon, should I go ahead and commit PNG conversions of the original JPGs
> of maps 9-18 to SVN, or are you planning on rescanning them before we
> re-release those books?

I've gone ahead and converted all JPG maps -> PNG (expect a fairly large SVN update today) as well as fixing certain labels (and recording the relevant errata). Because we may re-scan these maps (Books 9-18) in the future, we may need to re-alter these labels (Books 10, 12, 14, and 16) so I've created a small wiki page as a reminder of what will need fixing: http://www.projectaon.org/en/Errata/MapCorrections>

Slightly more technical info: The conversion from JPG -> PNG was straightforward enough. Ran the images through the JPEG Artefact Remover facility in Corel Paint Shop Pro 10, then used Edge Preserving Smooth on a very low level to just cover over any blotches left behind.

IMO the quality of the converted images, while not as crystal-clear as a re-scan, are acceptable for use in any re-releases, so that shouldn't prevent us from re-releasing any of these books. For comparison:

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/09tcof/map.jpg>
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/09tcof/map.png>

http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/12tmod/map.jpg>
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/12tmod/map.png>