[projectaon] Re: 17tdoi Potential Edits

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:01:28 +0000

On 10/02/2012 00:02, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Chris Neilson<crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Fundamentally, Im failing to see why a footnote is needed in this case
at all. What exactly is it that you are planning on saying in the
footnote that could not be mentioned in the errata?

Part of it is the scope of the changes. They're all over. I suggest a
short footnote that says, "Many enemies in this book have had their
statistics reduced in accordance with the Mongoose Publishing edition
to balance the game which was originally quite challenging. See the
Errata for details." We might even consider creating a special list of
the affected combats on the Errata page to make it easier to find
them.

I am leaning towards something like this, purely for ease of editing!

How about this: We make the stat changes as per normal errata. From the *Grand Master's Wisdom* page, we add a footnote that says "Many enemies in this book have had their statistics altered in accordance with the Mongoose Publishing edition to balance the game." and then provide a list of the changes in a table such as:

                    | ORIGINAL    | MONGOOSE
SECTION XX | ENEMY              | ENEMY
                   |CS x EP y      | CS x+1 EP y-5
SECTION XY | etc.

OBVIOUSLY using a proper table layout! ;-)

It's important not to state that the stats have been reduced because certain combats have been made slightly harder (e.g. the Helghast in Book 8).

The argument for having a footnote in every affected section is for
the convenience of a reader who wants to face the challenge of the
original.

I agree. However, as Chris points out, the footnotes can be quite distracting, and as an editor, I will be happy to see the back of as many as possible! >_< Hopefully, this strikes the correct balance between the two.

Here's what I'll do: I'll commit the changes I've made to the footnotes for Book 17 xml. Then I'll make the changes outlined above without committing them just yet and output a test HTML page to show the footnote and table. Should take an hour or so, I reckon.