[projectaon] Re: 17tdoi Potential Edits

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:34:53 +1300

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 14:10 -0800, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > why would we footnote them? are you saying keep the old values and
> > footnote that mongoose version has different values?
> >
> > would it not be better to change to the mongoose values and mention they
> > were changed in the errata? case in point: chaos master. why would you
> > keep values that are basically impossible to beat (im assuming there are
> > new values)?
> >
> > if we do it that way there are no footnotes (and footnotes are evil).
>
> Footnotes have a purpose and are a good thing in moderation.

I agree. My statement "footnotes are evil" should be read as "footnotes
should be used as minimally as feasibly possible" :)

>  I wonder
> if we can avoid footnoting all of those combats by having just one
> footnote early in the book.

I see changing combat statistics as no different than rectifying
spelling/grammar mistakes. You wouldnt footnote those. Even if you argue
that its gameplay changing theres precedent elsewhere (errata for page
17 and 58 of 01fftd for instance) that are not footnoted.

If you want to see the original combat statistics they will be listed on
the errata page wont they? e.g. errata: changed CS 1 million -> CS 17 in
accordance with changes made by Mongoose Publishing because this fight
is unavoidable and there is a 95% chance of losing this combat for a
character with maximum stats.

Off the top of my head, the only time I could think of that would
warrant a footnote would be a rule clarification, or note of ambiguity.
As an aside, if the footnote explanation gets too long (eg there are 2+
valid interpretations), rather than listing every possibility I would
expect the footnote to say "refer to Readers Handbook" for alternative
points of views.

Fundamentally, Im failing to see why a footnote is needed in this case
at all. What exactly is it that you are planning on saying in the
footnote that could not be mentioned in the errata?