Re: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 11:39:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Assember?  Really?  You must be almost as old
>>as me!  I can't even find people who care about speed or memory usage
>>anymore.
> I love assembler. It's a great way to teach people what's going on under the
> hood and make them think about what they do. Every time I see someone
> reserve a 100k buffer just because, I cringe. :)

We must be from the same generation.  I'm 47, and learned to program
in machine code on an 8080 based Intel board with a hex keypad and
some LEDs.  It was a couple of years before I found out that people
programmed using assemblers, rather than entering hex by hand.

I worry that the new generation's early experience with computers is
amazing games and technology so complex they could never realistically
hope to understand it.  What's the natural path now days for kids to
go from playing computer games to writing them?  On the old Apple IIs,
you just typed list instead of run, and there was all the code.

Bill