RE: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:18:15 -0400

Hi Jared,
I have a development background, but my development skills are old. I started
out as a Cobol programmer when a degree wasn't required. I went to a
specialized school for people with disabilities here in Pittsburgh to learn
Cobol. At work, I moved on to doing Lotus Formula language, which is something
like a batch language, and LotusScript, which is a lot like QuickBasic or
VBScript. I also know bits of SQL, PHP, Perl, JavaScript, and HTML, although I
know HTML 4.1 and XHTML very well. I'm learning Java because we are retiring
Lotus Notes soon, here. I have attempted to learn Python several times. So you
are right that I have many holes in my Computer Science knowledge.

Regarding having a separatist environment, I'm unsure how I feel about that.
When I think about it, this list is sort of a separatist environment that much
of the time discusses how to do things with assistive technology.

The thing I want in a school, I guess, is to be able to have structure, which I
realize I can get in a non-separatist environment, but still have people who
are like me, in that they are also using assistive technology to do what they
do. So maybe I almost already have what I want. Maybe I still buy into the
assumption that blind people need special stuff. I went to school in an
institutional environment, before we had what used to be called mainstreaming.

Does that answer help at all?

Thanks.

Jim
Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Highmark recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.