Re: NVDA vs JFW

  • From: "QuentinC" <quentinc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:43:19 +0100

Hello,
I'm mainly a jaws user, but NVDA helps me sometimes: when jaws has crashed, when I have occasionnally to go on a PC owned by someone else, or when I have to virtualize windows XP for school job without having any extra jaws license. That's an excellent job for an open source product.

I'm profiting there is a NVDA developper there to ask some questions and drop some remarks : 1. Is it planed to add a jaws cursor ? I'm used to jaws for a very long time and have difficulties to be comfortable without that important feature. 2. Has the NVDA with eloquence topic evolved ? because that's also a factor which stop me from using NVDA more frequently. I know this is currently illegal, but I really hope that a solution could be found. IMO It would greatly help in switching from JFW to NVDA. 3. I never deeply tried. Is NVDA working well with QT, GTK, WX or more generally, open source GUI based applications, or is the support generally as poor as jaws ? That's something we can really reproach to FS... 4. IN jaws, there is a feature (Voice schemes) for changing voice characteristics when encountering a bold or italic or whatever particularely formatted word in a text, even in a single line. I think that such a feature is interesting. Sorry if it already exists. 5. I would like to report a translation error in french version, which exists for ages (more than 1 year). Many stupid people say that « exit » is untranslatable and must remind as such. I think you should replace it by « quitter ».

Thank you for your answers.