Re: NVDA vs JFW

  • From: Lex <lex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:01:45 +0200

14.12.2010 20:43, QuentinC пишет:
1. Is it planed to add a jaws cursor ? I'm used to jaws for a very long time and have difficulties to be comfortable without that important feature.
Since NVDA is by the name NVDA, not jaws, the answer is no. But in the latest stable NVDA 2010.2 we introduced flat review mode (with help of display hooks) which acts in quite similar way. Go and try it.
2. Has the NVDA with eloquence topic evolved ? because that's also a factor which stop me from using NVDA more frequently. I know this is currently illegal, but I really hope that a solution could be found. IMO It would greatly help in switching from JFW to NVDA.
http://www.nvda-project.org/blog/NVDAAndEloquenceSituation
3. I never deeply tried. Is NVDA working well with QT, GTK, WX or more generally, open source GUI based applications, or is the support generally as poor as jaws ? That's something we can really reproach to FS...
QT: IMHO NVDA's support for this framework is a bit better than jaws. However, QT accessibility implementation is buggy in its nature. We tried to overcome bugs where possible. WXWidgets: NVDA UI is written in wx. So the short answer is yes. However, NVDA doesn't support those WX controls lacking accessibility implementation. Since WXWidgets is an open-source library, anyone can improve some special control when he/she needs. gtk: as far as I know, this uses custom rendering on windows without using native windows functions, as well as doesn't expose any accessibility information. So it shouldn't be supported. however, situation might have been changed since i tried it last time.
4. IN jaws, there is a feature (Voice schemes) for changing voice characteristics when encountering a bold or italic or whatever particularely formatted word in a text, even in a single line. I think that such a feature is interesting. Sorry if it already exists.
It is absent in NVDA for now. NVDA can indicate formatting in speech though.
5. I would like to report a translation error in french version, which exists for ages (more than 1 year). Many stupid people say that « exit » is untranslatable and must remind as such. I think you should replace it by « quitter ».
You should write to Michel Such <michel.such@xxxxxxx> - he is a maintainer of the french translation.

Lex