Re: Getting started learning VB6

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:14:56 +0200

I would always promote formal education. Information Technology is one field where you could get professional without formal education, but I think it's a much tougher road and it will probably take you twice as long. Also, should you want to apply for a job where maths or a science background is required you be less appropriate than someone with a simple computer science degree.

I would encourage anyone with an interest in Information Technology and a reasonable aptitude to try and study. It might open up a world to you that you never knew existed. I would also encourage experienced individuals without a formal education to investigate study options. A person with say 10 years programming experience could try do a Masters degree for example. In computer science they might just let you start there if you have a proven experience. Well, no matter what, any worth while university should give an experienced professional "discount" if you will, that will allow him or her to forgo some years of study. If they insist you start with Programming 101 the whole place / department isn't worth their weight in construction rubble.

A degree is however not the be all and end all, it's just a kick start if you like. I really respect people that for one reason or another were not able to study but yet gained enough experience to be competant at what they do. What I don't like is when people without formal education feel threatened by people who did study and then forever poo poo any kind of accademical idea, or anything that is a bit more complicated.

The same goes for formally qualified individuals who can't appreciate simplicity and forever want to complicate things -- a sort of accademical / intellectual snobbery. None of the above will help in the real world.

Since I was so fortunate to have been able to study at one of our country's finest and world class universities, I'll end with a quote you brilliant self-taught professionals might appreciate; it's a quote one professor found, smiling back at him, on the very last page of long exam answer sheet:

"Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach."

Kind regards,
Kerneels

On 2/16/2011 2:30 PM, Jacques Bosch wrote:
I must be an exception to the rule. :)
But I am definitely not advocating that you shouldn't go for a formal education if at all possible. I was only sharing my story. But then I really did work very hard at it and have read very many books and articles over the last 12 years, and had some good input from prior colleagues. However, I know several good professionals that have similar stories here in SA.

Jacques

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM, RicksPlace <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi: There is just no substitute for a quality formal education.
    Ask the folks who run the Human Resources Department at any major
    company or government agency. Perhaps overseas this is diferent. I
    have found the education systems quite diferent here and abroad as
    well as the hiring practices. Here in the United States there is
    no question that you need some University level education if you
    want to get a job with a Major Company where you might be able to
    work for many years and make a living wage for your family.There
    always exceptions but they are very, very rare.
    If you do not live in the U.S. or you think you can make a living
    contracting at world-wide competitive wages such as in India,
    Bangladesh, Romainia   or other Third World Developing countries
    then you can go for it. But, if you want a job with GM, Ford, BA,
    AAA, AA, MERC or any other major company or any Us or State or
    even Local Government agency you will need some level of formal
    education. Again there might be an exception to this, especially
    if you are blind, but it is not likely nor will you find any
    channels for professional advancement in your career.
    Rick USA

                        From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        <mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                        [mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx