-=PCTechTalk=- Re: what is this and why am I receiving it?

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:11:00 -0500

I don't.  I set up the filters to flag mail that isn't addressed
*specifically*, letter for letter, byte for byte, to me.  I allow first
what's real, then mark the rest.  When I used to get spam, I just bounced and
deleted it without downloading it and it gradually disappeared.  I make use
of the friends list and anyone who emails me that isn't a known contact will
be flagged and added to the blacklist - forged address or not.  If I see a
message in there that could be legit (hasn't happened yet), I preview it
before the bounce.

Even though the spammers forge their addresses, a spam list is only worth
money if it can be reached.  A spammer that takes the time to thread the
headers to see if the bounce is bogus still doesn't get anywhere because
every suspect message is screened and I'll bounce it every time they send it.
The address is no good to them because it's unreachable.  Many of their bots,
even the smart ones, will take a bounced email address and remove it from the
"known good" list and downgrade it to remove or re-verify.

These people want easy pickings.  They want verifiable known addresses and
love the "just delete" crowd.  They love them because every time the message
is accepted and downloaded, even if it is never read, it's a live fish and
it's worth money.  They also love the HTML mail crowd because a script inside
the mail will also verify the address.  The real money isn't in the suckers
who respond to the bogus offers.  That's just gravy.  The real money is in a
good list of verified email addresses - preferably with some tracking info
linked to the address.