-=PCTechTalk=- Re: what is this and why am I receiving it?

  • From: "David Weaver" <djweaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:42:31 -0400

Really?  Than that has changed, because when I set it up you had to
point your email client to it, if I remember correctly.  Making it a
proxy server, as mail went through it before your client.

And let's really think about it.  If you have to set filters in
Mailwasher really what is the point?  You can do the same thing in most
Email clients, some better than others I will readily admit.  I would
rather put in 1 to 2 days of training for Bayesian filtering, than
having to setup rules for every new spam that comes out.  K-9 took about
2 days to training for a 97% effective rate.  SpamBayes, plugged into
Outlook, showed it good saved mail, and a folder of spam (because I knew
I would need it).  Trained it in under 5 minutes.  SpamBayes is so good,
that it will even classify mail from the same sender as spam and
non-spam based on its learning.  So those forwarded jokes, etc, go
directly to the spam folder (the deleted Items folder).

If you want to talk "true" power, the power lies with Bayesian
filtering.  It doesn't have to look at addresses or header information,
it looks at the contents.  Something that hardly ever changes when it
comes to spam, unlike header information.  Header information can be
forged, contents are pretty straightforward.

Wrong classifications with SpamBayes, 1 in over 300 detected spam.  I
deal with anywhere between 200-500 emails a day.  And that was easily
dealt with, just reclassified it as good with a touch of a button,
directly in Outlook.

Now that's power.

Dave