-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Please help with .dbx issue

  • From: "Sharon" <loonlake@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:32:52 +0200

Hi G-man,
I'm in the same position as Sylvia, except I have XP on the new machine, and
want to transfer some of my files by floppy till I get the network set up.

I tried Darryl's suggestion, but when I found the folder that holds the DBX
files (folders?) and clicked Import, the message says "No messages were
found in the folder or another application is running that has the required
files open. Please...[find another or close app]." So I'd like to try your
way. I finally found the current dbx folders by running a search including
all hidden and system files. They're under my id num in docs and settings.
In the search results the dbx files are two more folders deep, Microsoft and
Outlook Express (like in Win95), BUT in Explorer when I open the id number
folder, it appears empty, nor does it show a + beside it.

    From: "GuitarMan" <PCTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    >     Here's the method I normally use.  Note that this method assumes
that
    > there have been absolutely no messages downloaded onto the new system
yet.
    > If that's not the case, let me know and I'll show you how to get
around it
    > without losing your most recently downloaded email.

I have mail in some of the folders, but have not yet recreated the folders
that I want to move (or else I can change the name a bit, no?) Can I go
ahead, or is there something in these directions that affect folders other
than the ones I'm adding?

ok, I see that the Search calls the folders dbx "files". I thought each .eml
inside them would be a file. Either way, they all go inside the Inbox, which
I see is also not indicatd in the search.   ???

Thanks for your time,
Sharon

> 1.  First, open up Windows Explorer and move all of those DBX files back
out
> of the main OE dbx storage folder.  Place them all in a new folder called
> something like "DBX Files" so they're easy to find later.
>
> 2.  Next, recreate the folder tree from the old system manually (you only
> need to remake the ones that you had to make on the other system since the
> Inbox, Sent Items, Outbox, etc. will already be there).  Be sure to open
up
> each of them (just click on the folder to peek inside) to make sure OE
> creates a new .dbx file for them.  This is a VERY important step!
>
> 3.  Now move the files from the "DBX Files" folder above back into the
main
> OE dbx storage folder.  Each file should produce a warning asking if
you're
> sure that you want to replace the one file with the other.  Unless there's
> already messages stored in that particular folder (see the warning in the
> first paragraph), click on the Yes button.
>
> 4.  Finally, take a peek into those new folders you made and you'll be
> looking at your old messages.          8^)
>
> Peace,
> G Man
>
> PCTechTalk Owner

OE