-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT: On Internet Radio........

  • From: "Larry Southerland"<larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:15:10 -0400

My opinion?  I had friends who tried to use it and they all went back to
Win98 (or eventually up to Win2K).  One very annoying "improvement" that M$
added was disabling MS-DOS mode. To give the devil his due, M$ did add some
interesting "experimental" technology in ME:  universal plug and play, USB
mass-storage support, a new TCP/IP stack and automatic updates.
Unfortunately, many users found that these "innovations" did not always work
correctly.  But don't let my uneducated opinion of ME sway you, consider
what the experts have said:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125772-page,2/article.html

4. Microsoft Windows Millennium (2000)

This might be the worst version of Windows ever released--or, at least,
since the dark days of Windows 2.0. Windows Millennium Edition (aka Me, or
the Mistake Edition) was Microsoft's follow-up to Windows 98 SE for home
users. Shortly after Me appeared in late 2000, users reported problems
installing it, getting it to run, getting it to work with other hardware or
software, and getting it to stop running. Aside from that, Me worked great.

To its credit, Me introduced features later made popular by Windows XP, such
as system restore. Unfortunately, it could also restore files you never
wanted to see again, like viruses that you'd just deleted. Forget Y2K; this
was the real millennium bug.

One reason that I have been so critical of Vista is that most of the
computer professionals who have reviewed it have stated that Vista is the
new ME.  (Of course, with DRM added and governmental-sponsored insecurity so
that "Big Brother" can analyze your computer without having to bother with
those "pesky little things" called search warrants.  (See my earlier post on
Vista implementing the trusted computer platform module on your
chip/motherboard.))  But I'm not bitter.  ;-)