-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Method to test hub?

  • From: Master NetLord <NetLord@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:38:35 -0400

Well, this is one of those situations where I tried to answer quickly and
didn't choose my words correctly.  In some documentation, bandwidth is used in
place of power, probably because the computer supplies the power along with the
bandwidth -- and when you exceed the designed amount of power, your equipment
fails (as you said too).  I think you and I are in violent agreement <chuckle>

The situation here is I actually use four ports, the computer has only two
ports.  My logic says the computer will not deliver enough "power" to run the
four pieces of equipment.  The hub has a power supply, but I question if it's
working because when I plug it in to the hub, the red light comes on, not the
green light.  One way to check this would be to put a volt meter across the tip
of the connector for the power supply and see if it's delivering what it is
supposed to.  That's a project for tonight as my mother's refrigerator ice
maker broke and flooded her kitchen.........now I'm a plumber, not an
electrician <G>

Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",
Master NetLord