-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Method to test hub?

  • From: "sylvia van de wall" <pvdw@xxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:11:34 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)

a good plumber is hard to find.............lol

sylvia.

Well, this is one of those situations where I tried to answer quickly and
didn't choose my words correctly. In some documentation, bandwidth is used
in place of power, probably because the computer supplies the power along
with the bandwidth -- and when you exceed the designed amount of power, your
equipment fails (as you said too). I think you and I are in violent
agreement <chuckle>

The situation here is I actually use four ports, the computer has only two
ports. My logic says the computer will not deliver enough "power" to run the
four pieces of equipment. The hub has a power supply, but I question if it's
working because when I plug it in to the hub, the red light comes on, not
the green light. One way to check this would be to put a volt meter across
the tip of the connector for the power supply and see if it's delivering
what it is supposed to. That's a project for tonight as my mother's
refrigerator ice maker broke and flooded her kitchen.........now I'm a
plumber, not an electrician <G>

Regards from the

"Keyboard Cowboy",

Master NetLord