-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Method to test hub?

  • From: "rawhide101" <rawhide101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:01:02 -0400

Perhaps this will help.  Cut to #4, #5 and #6 to avoid history.

1.  System is Win 98 SE, HP 8565 with Belkin 4-port USB hub connected to rear
USB connector of computer; front USB connector isn't being used.

A new hard drive was installed as drive C; after a few hours all appeared OK.
Then a HP scanner was installed using the USB connector on back of computer;
sequentially, a Palm cradle, a digital camera and a FlashLink card were
installed using the front USB connector.

2.  In MY COMPUTER, Camera and Flash link were assigned Removable Disk F and G
respectively when those items were installed.  All worked OK.  (The hdds are C,
D and E; CDRW is drive M; CD is drive N.)

3.  Two days later the Belkin hub was connected to USB connector on rear of
computer. The four devices were quickly, and randomly, connected to the Belkin.
Some worked, some didn't.

4.  An article or email scan-read a few years ago described similar problems
with a Mac or Apple. A printer had to be attached to either the closest, or most
distant, cable connector so all other peripherals on the cable could function
properly. The problem was blamed on electrical noise being generated by the
printer.

5.  Hoping a similar approach might work here I disconnected all USB devices
from the Belkin; the scanner was reconnected to Belkin USB nearest the computer;
worked OK at "USB #1".

With scanner connected, the Palm cradle was connected to Belkin USB #2; both OK.
The card reader was connected to Belkin USB #3 Belkin and didn't work, but
connecting camera as #3 did.

Card reader was connected to Belkin USB #4 and all four devices work OK. Turns
out, the sequence that worked is the sequence in which the devices were
installed. Why?  Don't know... don't have equipment to test the devices, and
don't want to disturb what's working.

6.  I just now ran all four devices simultaneously to be sure all were still OK
after three weeks use. Scanned a page of text, synchronized Palm, and looked at
images in camera and on separate card, and read over this reply. All devices
worked "AOK".

Jim