-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fw: Best Buys Return Policy

  • From: "Larry Southerland"<larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 23:26:21 -0400

Just a few observations, if I might:

1.  First, I understand your frustrations and I do not shop at Best Buy
myself.

2.  Best Buy is not the only company that has such a policy, especially on
electronics items such as computers, iPods and GPSes.  (I'm not justifying
the policy, just explaining it).  I used to work in retail (at Circuit City)
and a small segment of the population would abuse Circuit City's generous
return policy (e.g., purchase an item like a GPS for a summer trip and then
return it when they no longer needed it).  In addition, return policies for
non-defective goods actually cost companies a lot of money -- items which
are returned after having been opened usually have to be discounted
(sometimes significantly) to be sold as "open items."  The "restocking fee"
is designed to compensate (in part or in whole) the seller for the loss that
it will take when it resells the goods.  In addition, most States (and, if
memory serves, the FTC) have laws which prohibit the undisclosed selling of
previously-sold items to other customers.  (It constitutes fraud and in most
States, an unfair and deceptive trade practice.)

3.  Your best argument would be that Best Buy never disclosed their 15%
restocking fee prior to your purchase.  It would not matter that their sales
policies are on the back of the receipt (if you had no prior notice of them)
because one cannot unilaterally impose additional terms to a sales contract
*after* the sale has been completed.  However, it is likely that somewhere
(probably near the customer service counter) there is a sign posted which
states that (1) there is a shorter return policy for certain items (so many
days for computer equipment, etc.) and (2) there is a 15% restocking fee on
these (or all) items.  If such a sign exists, your argument that you didn't
know about the policies or weren't told about them would, in my humble
opinion, be meritless.

4.  One should always make one's purchases on items over a fixed amount
(say, $50.00) by credit card because of the federal regulations which allow
one to dispute charges within 60 days from the date of the receipt of the
statement on which the charge appears.  HOWEVER, you usually have to write a
letter explaining one's basis for objecting to the charge and I know of
several credit card companies will issue a credit for the charge minus the
restocking fees.

5.  As I said, I understand your frustration.  I remember what happened
about ten years ago to me when I purchased a Acer notebook computer directly
from the company.  When I received the computer I discovered that the item,
sold to me as new (at full price), had been previously-owned by someone else
(all their information was still on the computer, including name, credit
card information, etc.).  When I called Acer about the problem, they told me
that "well, it was new TO YOU."  When I then told them that I was returning
the unit, they tried the 15% restocking fee game on me and forcing me to pay
the return shipping costs.  I pointed out that they had not disclosed such a
policy to me prior to selling me the unit.  They were going to take a hard
line with me until I suggested that they run the situation by their
corporate counsel and call me back, commenting that I was a 3d year law
student at the time, about to take the North Carolina Bar Exam.  After about
an hour, I received a telephone call from the salesman who was sending a
shipping label and offered me the unit three models up than the one that I
originally purchased at the same price I paid for the other unit.

If you can still get the $45 gift certificate from Best Buy's corporate
office, I'd suggest that you take it.  You can give it to someone as a
birthday present or purchase some DVDs that you would otherwise have
purchased.  Then don't darken their doors ever again.  Vote with your feet,
as the saying goes.

Insofar as I am only licensed to practice law in the State of North
Carolina, I am not offering any legal advice in this letter and no
attorney-client relationship should be deemed to be created by my posting my
observations and comments.