-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fw: Best Buys Return Policy

  • From: "Larry Southerland"<larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:49:35 -0400

I agree.  However, the brick and mortar stores have a "problem:" assume that
they hire competent salespeople who read the manuals and play with the
products, attend training classes, etc.  They have to pay these people more
than the people who aren't competent.  That means that the prices have to be
higher to reflect the seller's higher costs (e.g., commissions).  Customers
then come into the store, pump the salespeople for information and then
purchase from some internet company which has a lower price, free shipping
and no sales tax.  While this may not be true in a particular case (like
you), this happens a whole lot in retail.  There are no free lunches.  They
internet, which has lead to more-readily available information, better
competitive prices, etc. has also lead to greater pressures (e.g., lost
sales, lower margins, etc.) on brick and mortar stores.