-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Everything FULL !?!?

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:52:24 -0400

This is one of those "iffy" situations. You have data that is important and
you don't want to lose. And, you have a drive that might be bad, or might
just be corrupted, but physically ok. Repairing the problem is definitely
more efficient than copying the data and reformatting the drive. BUT, the
problem is that trying to repair the problem might not be successful, and
doing so could further hinder your path to data recovery.

So... what to do next!?!?! Ah, the world can be so perplexing sometimes,
can't it?

I would recommend trying to back up the data first. I know you said you
can't write to any drive cause of the DISK FULL error. BUT... didn't you
say you're networking to another computer? You may be able to send the
backup over the network to the other system (assuming it doesn't show that
as full as well). Another option, pop the drives out and see if you can get
it working on another system... to see if the data and drive is intact...
cause this may be (and certainly seems like) strictly a software problem.
But, you also said you have it set up as a striped RAID array. So, not sure
how that's gonna work if you do decide to put the drives in another
computer. You're obviously going to have to move both drives, and are going
to need a system with RAID controllers.

After you know the data is secure, then you should work on repairing the
drive or just reformatting.

---Troth