-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DBX-files

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:22:28 -0400

Number one rule ANYTIME dealing with computers... never be discouraged. I'll
tell you, I learned all my computer knowledge on my own... no schooling, no
training, no mentor. I learned from reading magazines in waiting rooms,
watching TechTV before it WAS TechTV, opening up systems and experimenting, and
just reformatting every other month. When I first got into all this, I can't
think of any other one person that has reformatted their system more than me...
except Cosmic Charlie, if he's still on the list.
:-)
But, anyway... that's how you learn. And, I'm still learning today. And, just
when you think you have a stupid question, that question many times baffles the
more experienced techs on the list... not to mention that about another 10% of
the list need the same question answered or at one time needed the same
question answered. And, for what's its worth, your question and any answers go
into our archive, so as to be searched by future members if they have the same
problem. In other words, no question is ever stupid... EVER.

With that said, don't be afraid to experiment with your computer. The only
thing you should do is always make sure you backup the important stuff. When I
say important stuff, I don't mean the installation files or stuff you've
downloaded from the net. I mean stuff you cannot replace (ie. photos from a
digital camera, reports you've written, financial saves from programs like
Quicken). Your favorites in Internet Explorer are not going to kill you if you
lose them. Sure, you can add them to your backup set... but, losing them won't
kill you (at least not most people). And, I'm referring to backing up the
important stuff in the event you're about to do something that could be risky.
If you making an everyday backup set, as I now do, THEN you can add all your
important stuff plus the not-so-important stuff.

Several backup programs on the market to make the backups. WinBackup, by
LIUtilities, is a popular one, but will cost you 40 bucks. A free one that I
like and I use is called Back It Up, which can be attained as freeware from
here:
http://w1.321.telia.com/~u32102551/

What to backup...

When you're ready to use a program to make the backups, tell us here on the
list, and I'll throw at you a bunch of stuff and locations that you should
backup. And, I'm sure everyone else will throw in a few also. If you use Back
It Up, I'll tell you how to use it.

With that said, don't be discouraged, and make learning fun, not frustrating.
:-)

---Troth