[pchelpers] Re: Map image fails to show on Mapquest

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:51:46 +0300

Hi Cy

>>> What firewall or other ad-blocking software do you have? Did you get an
>
> Updates are set to automatic but they do not update the FREE one much.

In fact, Sygate is not updated at all anymore; if you try to update it,
the new owner, Symantec Norton, tries to peddle their very bad product.

>>> Emptying Internet Cache has no effect
>
>> The links above and in the previous message explain in detail what i
>> tried to briefly say; this is talking about your DNS cache, not your
>> browsers' caches. Since the problem goes away when you allow all
>> traffic, this problem is not due to Windows's stupid handling of
>> incorrect DNS lookup attempts, but it makes sense to turn off the
>> useless DNS client service because it sometimes causes similar problems.
>
> Firewall is the free version of Sygate when I set it to allow all them
> the Mapquest works. Setting it to normal seems to block mapquest.

This doesn't answer what i just wrote. Apparently you didn't look at the
links. Their explanations about how to clear the DNS cache and how to
prevent unsuccessful DNS lookup attempts are, however, unnecessarily
complicated. I hadn't had the time to look through them and figured that
the info was either there or you'd ask for more help. Instead of
clearing the DNS cache manually by running "ipconfig /flushdns", i'd
suggest the much easier solution of rightclicking your connection icon
(either in the system tray or in control panel < network connections)
and choosing Repair.

This and the permanent disabling of the DNS Client service (which the
main link http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/dns_cache.htm claims will slow
down your connection although others say the opposite) or the link's
solution of disabling the caching of unsuccessful DNS lookups will be
helpful in the future, but they are no help in this Mapquest problem
because we already proved it was caused by Sygate.

>> This means we should concentrate on finding the incorrect setting in
>> Sygate and not getting distracted by other possible causes of similar
>> problems that you are or are not experiencing.
>
> Looking into the log does not indicate anything except incoming attacks.  The
> Mapquest site itself is not blocked  since it will display everything except
> the
> map image.

It can be difficult to understand the logs. It's probably easier to
verify that the general settings are correct and then re-allowing
Internet access to both browsers.

>> Since the free version of Sygate does not have any ad blocking feature,
>> the cause is apparently a setting that only allows traffic to certain
>> sites instead of the default, which allows traffic to all sites. If you
>> can't find the relevant setting, you could take a look at the column in
>> the traffic log explaining the reasons for blocking incoming and
>> outgoing traffic.

If switching Sygate between allowing all and normal causes the blocking
of part of Mapquest's page, the difference will be visible in the
traffic log, but it can be a pain to find.

>>> None
>>> of the settings I currently have in Sygate seem to refer to mapquest in
>>> any
>>> way. The applications that are in the list do not have any reference to
>>> Mapquest.   So right now I do not know what could  be changed in Sygate
>>> allow Mapquest specifically since it is not associated with any specific
>>> application. Will have to keep looking.
>>
>> You don't want to look for Mapquest settings; you want to look for
>> something saying "allow access only to predetermined sites" or something
>> like that. I'll have a chance to look at Sygate tomorrow.
>
> Emptying all temporary Internet files as well as Cache and dat files changed
> nothing.  I used CleanDisk  to select those items.  I am not sure what else
> to use for specifically DNS cache.

See above.

> Sygate Security settings:
> 1. Enable Driver Level Protection
> 2. NetBios protection
> 3. Anti -Application Hijacking
> 4. Allow Token Ring Traffic

Look OK, and i wasn't able to find any other settings either that could
be causing your problem unless you made some private rules under tools <
advanced rules.

> Looking at the Sygate Traffic I see no difference between the log where it
> worked and the log where it did not worked  except the status Blocked  and
> Allowed.  Interestingly there are times after having turned Sygate off and
> then turned it back on  where the identical selection was not blocked.
> However that might just be related to turning it on and off since I did not
> reboot in between.

You need to know the IP address of the part of the page that is being
blocked, and then you have take a look at the column in the traffic log
explaining the reasons for blocking incoming and outgoing traffic.
Instead, i'd suggest deleting both browsers from Sygate's application
list and re-permitting them permanently when prompted by Sygate.