[pchelpers] Re: Cable modem

  • From: "Louis M Hall" <lhall1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:43:47 -0600

Lots of posts here about the correct or best cable modem. My cable supplier is
Road Runner a division of Time Warner. The modem I have is a SurfBoard 4100.
It is supplied by the cable company. My PC Internet cable service comes on the
same line as my TV service. It appears that with
the TW company the modem is included as long as you are paying the $44.95
monthly fee for the cable. There is a $10.00 discount
here as I am also a  cable television customer. I may have paid a deposit years
ago for the modem, but I don't think so. . . . .
just an installation fee.

Am I missing out on something by not buying my own modem? I have never seen any
provision for doing so with Road Runner. I do
not think any other cable service is available in my area, Memphis, TN, other
than DSL with a phone company.

Any comment???