RE: vmware & Oracle

  • From: "Closson, Kevin A" <kevin.closson@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:06:07 -0000

and assume all development is free and never read the detailed terms, I
was one of them. I've heard many people over the years express the
opinion that you don't need to licence development systems, although
they would all be techies who weren't actually responsible for the
licencing.

     I don't talk about Oracle licensing much, but when I do I find this
to be the case. IT shops take licensing seriously. I have never been to
an IT shop that has any amount of IT staff at all that didn't in fact
license their dev machines. The only whay I would know this is from past
lives where the dev machines where running some of the products I was
involved with (e.g., PolyServe Matrix Server, Veritas DBED with ODM,
Sequent systems, etc).