RE: vmware & Oracle

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Sean.oneill@xxxxxxxxxx>, "List, Oracle-l Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:01:04 -0400

It is a fair point that it adds an extra layer, but they've invested a
huge amount of effort in mitigating that.  Also, it matters *what*
VMWare you're running.  Both workstation and server run their virtual
machines as processes - so there is a huge userspace jump, and IO is
definitely impacted.

In VMWare ESX server, the OS of the physical machine is a customized
version of Linux with a custom kernel, and the virtual machines have a
much more direct IO path, as well as typically the VMWare filesystem on
the physical machine, as opposed to a standard ext3 filesystem for
vmware workstation, etc.

So, if you look at IO impact statistics from someone, make sure they're
comparing the version of VMWare you'd want to run.

Matt