RE: vmware & Oracle

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <neiloverend@xxxxxxxxx>, <kevin.closson@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:54:31 -0400

This is one reason why I am very uncomfortable with Oracle licensing.
You have interpreted what they said at their website as, "You don't need
to pay for licences for development systems" and I think that is
inaccurate.  You DO have to pay for development licenses under almost
any circumstances after you deploy your first working application to
production.  We have gone round 'n round with our sales rep over the
precise meaning of these words.

                " .... We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable
limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing a
single prototype of your application, and not for any other purpose.  If
you use the application you develop under this license for any internal
data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you
want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under
this agreement, you must contact us, or an Oracle reseller, to obtain
the appropriate license.  We may audit your use of the programs ...."