Re: vmware & Oracle

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sean.oneill@xxxxxxxxxx, "List, Oracle-l Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

I run Oracle on VMWare right now. I have both a two
VMWare RAC configuration and a non-RAC configuration.
I would never use such a configuration for anything
other than a development/test features kind of
environment. It's not supported by Oracle, but it does
work and is great for those kinds of uses.

Robert

Blog at: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com/
--- "O'Neill, S. (Sean)" <Sean.oneill@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone had much experience (good or bad) with
> running their Oracle DB's on the "vmware" product
> from VMware Inc.  Speaking to local re-sellers there
> appears to be a division of opinon as to whether or
> not there are performance hits when doing so.  We've
> a mixed bag of Oracle versions (8.1.7 to 10.1.0.4),
> underpinning various applications on our site all
> running on Windows Server 2000 or 2003.  Any
> feedback, pointers, or links to useful papers would
> be appreciated, though I'm really interested in
> "real life" experiences with the product.
>
> Regards,
> Seán O'Neill,
>

> This message, including attachments, is confidential
> and may be privileged. If you are not an intended
> recipient, please notify the sender then delete and
> destroy the original message and all copies. You
> should not copy, forward and/or disclose this
> message, in whole or in part, without permission of
> the sender.

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Now Available for Pre-Sales on Amazon.com!!!!
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)