Re: vmware & Oracle

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:14:47 -0400

Let's not forget potential licensing issues...

Where Oracle Corp is concerned, VMware is a "soft partitioning" technology
(or was the last time I checked, about 3 years ago).  This means that you
need to Licence your Oracle software for the entire machine, not just for
the VMs in which you run Oracle.

This can be a bit painful for sites who plan to take a 16-way i86 box, run
HTTP servers on VMs consuming 14 CPUs, and run Oracle on the "remaining" 2
CPUs.  You have to licence Oracle EE for all 16 CPUs ($640,000), versus
potentially licensing Oracle SE-1 for a 2-way physical server ($10,000;
$5,000 if it uses multi-core processors).

Sites planning to run Oracle in all VMs will be less affected, except for
being compelled to use EE where SE (SE-1) may have otherwise been permitted.

This information might be out of date.  I encourage people to double check.
Preferrable with at least 3 independent sources within Oracle -- I have
historically found it to be extremely difficult to get correct answers to
questions like this.

On 7/19/07, Peter McLarty <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is now bug fixes for time issues with vmware, clocks running away
> with themselves.

> My 0.02c
>
> Peter

Cheers,