Re: Remote DBA

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:53:47 +1000

Kellyn Pedersen wrote,on my timestamp of 28/09/2010 6:45 AM:

always find those folks that due to a need for instanct gratification or maybe a
need to play superman, "look, I came and saved the day AGAIN! Aren't I great!"
that will simply duct tape/band aid the problem vs. researching what is actually
causing the issue and correct it long term, which often means investing the
proper amount of time and effective research to do so?

Narh, that's not "cost-effective"in today's market. What's important is "demonstrating the cost savings" of remote band-aids. Lots of them, so they look good in the moronic spreadsheet that "measures" service efficiency.

Yes, I know there are emergency situations that arise and demand a short term
fix to allow accessibility to a system or resolve an issue asap, but when it
starts to become a consistent option for all resolutions, it's not resolving an
issue, its a waste of company resources, time and money. This type of technical
resource is not an asset, they are a liability in the long run- IMHO

Don't expect an outsourced one to do any better...

    I get very worried when I see a resolution that only consists of "Done".

Bingo! But explain that to helpdesk managers, whose only metric is how many "dones"/head they get...

Ours gets worried sick she only got one "done" from me in the nearly four years she's been "measuring" our efficiency: apparently I'm not filling up my quota.

Explanations of why tend to get quite heated...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto