RE: Remote DBA

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:02:19 -0400

To be clear, I only mean the term in the positive, as in an employee who
I am always happy to have on my team.  In addition, let's not take
"ticket" too literally - any operational person who has 10 pounds of
work to fit in an 8 pound bag, yet manages to make continuous progress,
*and* sends up the red flag when they're in trouble meets my definition.

And from my perspective, anyone who improves their time to resolution by
emailing someone back with, "Not an issue" or "Run this command", or
other similar shenanigans that don't really address the core of the
problem, doesn't get credit for solving the issue.

I even mean, at the start of the week, "here's the 10 things I need done
this week, plus keep an eye on the customer support mailing list for any
questions that we can help with" - and at the end of the week, 8 out of
the 10 are done, 1 was escalated to someone else, and the 10th we're
waiting on clarification from someone else, and we helped out with these
other things.  That's great, and I didn't have to be checking in every
day to see where we were on those items, and they didn't get caught down
a rabbit hole, or sidetracked by someone who wanted five hours of their
time without talking to me first.

Not blindly metric-ing based on closed tickets.  Sorry if I gave that
impression.

Matt