RE: Remote DBA

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:00:00 -0400

Alan,

    Well, I will agree with others on the list that working from home
takes a person with very good time management skills and discipline.
I've done the work from home thing and still do when Mother Nature makes
a real mess up here in the winter and it's hard to concentrate on work
when home projects beckon or the cat decides she wants to sleep on your
lap.  I do it, but their not exactly my most productive days.  If your
going to hire people who will be remotely located like this it's best to
have someone manage them who is familiar with the concept and how to
manage it.  I've worked for a manager who didn't know how to do that,
mandated that I work from home at least 2 days a week, and made me
miserable in the process never mind the customer that I was actually
working for.

    As to hiring someone you've never personally met, sure.  We've two
in Hyderabad right now, one of which no one here has ever met in person.
Damn good technician too.  And yes we did verify references and work
experience.  If you don't want to do that then why are you bothering
with an interview??  Once saw a resume for an individual who claimed to
have played 2 seasons with the Boston Celtics.  Problem was that he was
about 4 foot 6 inches.  Didn't exactly pass the smoke test, now does it.

    As for hiring or contracting with a service provider your basically
hiring a consultant who does DBA services.  The more important point
here is what does the statement of work say and how do the service
providers references stack up.  Good people sometimes work for poor
providers which can make for a bad experience and a poorly written SOW
is not the provider's problem.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International