Re: RE: how good is oracle tech support?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:38:06 -0400

On 04/06/2004 12:17:10 PM, Pete Sharman wrote:

> 1.  Dangerous to know - incorrect usage may cause even further problems
> 2.  Not necessary for you to know - see 1, or
> 3.  Provides information that competitors would LOVE to know

With the point 1, I couldn't agree more. There are people, even on this list,
who are dangers for the cup holders on their machines and shouldn't go near a
computer.
Giving internal information to people like that would be like giving a loaded
gun
to a 5 years old: a recipe for disaster.

With point 3, I disagree. There are many "Oracle Internals" books, some by
people who have
worked for Oracle and the best one from the guy who has never worked for Oracle
(Steve Adams).
Internal information is accessible to anybody, who knows the methodology (block
dumps, system dumps,
trace files for the events 10053 and and 10046). Some of the discussions on
this list are
so technically detailed that the next level would be to write the actual code.
I have personally
done some rather nasty stuff  to reveal oracle internals, but am not inclined
to talk about that
in public. In other words, there isn't much that competitors couldn't find out
about Oracle.
Second, most of the interesting so called "internal documents", are about bugs.
That, my friend,
should not be a big secret, at least not for the Oracle's customers, as it is
frequently extremely
helpful and necessary information.

--
Mladen Gogala