Re: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 16:05:17 +0000

On 1/3/07, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Standard Edition RAC can be useful, I am sure.  And I have little doubt
that somebody is using it.  Somewhere.  But I would think that an
application that genuinely requires the "high availability" offered by RAC
while simultaneously living comfortably within the limits of a 4 CPU
cluster would be a very rare combination.

Personally I see RAC as a SCALABILITY and not and AVAILABILITY solution.
certainly I've seen more downtime on RAC installations in the last couple of
years than on single-instance solutions. This could of course be my
incompetence, but single instance database don't ever suffer from losing
track of which nodes are in the cluster. They don't suffer from CRS
restarting the node for reasons that support couldn't explain and so on.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA