RE: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

  • From: "Polarski, Bernard" <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>,<jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:07:44 +0100

"

"From: Mark Brinsmead [mailto:pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx]
2-node clusters under certain configurations (not sure whether OCS/ASM
is one of them) can be subject to severe stability issues, as failure of
one node can result in "split-brain" conditions that cause failure of
the entire cluster.
"

I suppose you refer to the failure of the interconnect? But in two nodes
RAC, you still have the primary so the voting will occurs.

I can't see a specific reason for a split brain linked to the condition
of a RAC being only of two nodes.

I always thought that split brain is only linked to the usage of an
extended (storage) RAC.

"
Standard Edition RAC can be useful, I am sure.  And I have little doubt
that somebody is using it.  Somewhere.  But I would think that an
application that genuinely requires the "high availability" offered by
RAC while simultaneously living comfortably within the limits of a 4 CPU
cluster would be a very rare combination.
"

Well, I can give a good and common example of a standard usage of this
combination: the back end of an Oracle Portal DB.

Don't need much sophistication, just have the DB available to serve the
portal which is itself  duplicated. Many are just windows dual xeon cpu
boxes.

I am quite confident that Oracle will adapt the policy of SE RAC to the
new wave of dual/quad core CPU or SE RAC will be limited to one box
which means no RAC. SE RAC exists to occupy the low end market and
prevent customer that use apps like Oracle portal to switch to web M$
while introducing the RAC technology in house so that people my one day
expand its usage to EE and offer their cash to Larry Hat.

Bernard Polarski