RE: Oracle Standard Edition & RAC

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:23:53 -0800

Well on systems with 2 or 4 processors typically doing small amounts of
work at a time for say 2-500 concurrent users and often with an
overnight window for batch, how much benefit is PQO in practice? I'd
probably also suggest that if you do want PQO then there is a fair
chance that you'll want Partitioning as well, so you'd probably have to
really, really want to make that

...well, a modern two way can move about 350MB/s with PQO doing goodies
like index creation and statistics updating and only about 40-60MB/s
without it...and that has nothing to do with partitioning. With a decent
SAN, a 2 node cluster of 2 CPU servers can scale that as well. I can see
how a 2 user system could do without PQO, but then a 2 user system
should not be capitalized by a company opting instead for hosted I
should think.