RE: remembering my first experiences with the Optacon

  • From: "Pam Drake" <pamdrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 10:25:28 -0700

Peggy,

That's an absolute scream!  I really am sitting here laughing out loud.  I
haven't gotten a good laugh on a list  in a long time!  What awkward
experiences we had now and then.

When I went for Optacon teacher training two of us were lucky enough to get
a chance to go to the VA to see the talking Optacon, then being
field-tested.  The person who showed it to us said there had been some very
funny, if embarrassing incidents with the talking Optacon in library
situations.

Taking a chance here:  someone read a book in which a phrase something like,
"I'd give my right nut for a chocolate bar right now," could be clearly
heard,  That's the cleanest one.  The other was a simple case of mis-reading
or mis-pronunciation.  If anyone wants to know what it was, write me off
list.  <lol>

Pam