Re: remembering my first experiences with the Optacon

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:29:49 EDT

I still have a wooden cas from my first optacon. I refuse to give it up
because in my opinion it's the best way to take an optacon on a long trip or to
ship it if you have to ship it a long way.
Gail

Don,
Before Rehab bought my first optacon, I had a loaner machine which was in
one of those wooden cases. I loved that case; I think it was much better
made than the soft packs. In fact, all my soft packs have foam that has
dried out and gotten all over the inside of the soft pack. If TSI had stuck
with the wooden cases, perhaps with rounded edges, I think the optacon would
be much better protected.
My training was done with an instructor, one on one, and part of it took
place at my parents' cabin in the mountains. One thing I used my optacon to
do after completing the training was to sort the family's mail every day,
until I had to go back to computer school and read homework assignments.
Sorting the mail was fun, because it didn't take much effort, and most of it
involved reading envelope addresses, which didn't take long.
I also enjoyed looking at my college textbooks, especially the ones I never
had time to read in college. I found out that one of them wasn't what I
thought it was; instead, it was the title of a book that another student was
purchasing, and I thought it was one of my books, that had been put on his
pile instead of mine. After discovering, five years later,  it was really
his book that I had taken, I realized why he left briefly while we were
still in the book store; he left to get another copy, because I had taken
his book without realizing it. I hope he wasn't mad at me for making that
mistake
Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson