Re: remembering my first experiences with the Optacon

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:22:13 EDT

I remember when I got my own optacon. I was learning how to use it at the
rehab center in downtown Detroit and my instructor told me on a Thursday that I
was doing so well, she'd let me borrow one over the weekend and until mine came
in. But I didn't have to borrow one because mine came in that Friday. So I
took it home with me. My mother was at work so that afternoon after I got and
read the mail, I called her and told her some piece of information about an
order that came in the mail. She asked me how I knew that and I told her I read
it. She knew I was training with the optacon so she then knew mine had come in
and she was as thrilled as I was. Then she began showing me all kinds of things
to read. The one that I remember the best was our gas and electric bill. At
first I couldn't read it and then I asked her what color it was. It was white
printing on a blue background. When I reversed the contrast I had success. And
then I started reading technical material for my first computer programming
job. I was so excited!
Gail