Re: remembering my first experiences with the Optacon

  • From: "don bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:05:33 -0700

Mary,

The boxes were great protection for the Optacon, but they really were a pain to
carry around.  I rode BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) every day to and from
work, and the soft pack was definitely better for that.  But, those boxes were
really well made and must have cost a fortune in their own right.

I also enjoyed old college books which I'd previously only been able to access
using a reader.  What a feeling of liberation!

Don

On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:37:43 -0700, Mary Emerson wrote:

Don,

Before Rehab bought my first optacon, I had a loaner machine which was in
one of those wooden cases. I loved that case; I think it was much better
made than the soft packs. In fact, all my soft packs have foam that has
dried out and gotten all over the inside of the soft pack. If TSI had stuck
with the wooden cases, perhaps with rounded edges, I think the optacon would
be much better protected.

My training was done with an instructor, one on one, and part of it took
place at my parents' cabin in the mountains. One thing I used my optacon to
do after completing the training was to sort the family's mail every day,
until I had to go back to computer school and read homework assignments.
Sorting the mail was fun, because it didn't take much effort, and most of it
involved reading envelope addresses, which didn't take long.

I also enjoyed looking at my college textbooks, especially the ones I never
had time to read in college. I found out that one of them wasn't what I
thought it was; instead, it was the title of a book that another student was
purchasing, and I thought it was one of my books, that had been put on his
pile instead of mine. After discovering, five years later,  it was really
his book that I had taken, I realized why he left briefly while we were
still in the book store; he left to get another copy, because I had taken
his book without realizing it. I hope he wasn't mad at me for making that
mistake
Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson