RE: remembering my first experiences with the Optacon

  • From: "Pam Drake" <pamdrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 00:30:34 -0700

Goodness!

This is a fun thread.

There were three of us from Social  Security in my October or November class
of 1975; can't remember which now.  There were also a couple of sighted
Optacon teacher trainees.

Four of us went to San Francisco on Saturday and stayed overnight.  What a
wonderful memory!

My first week was rough.  On Thursday night the head of training asked to
come visit me at the motel.  I was sure she was going to tell me I wasn't
making the grade and should go home.  I had friends in the area and had gone
to dinner a couple of nights and was sure she was going to tell me I hadn't
been applying myself.

I tearfully told her I would do whatever I needed to do in order to stay in
the class.  She told me she had a weekend assignment for me.  "I hear some
of you are going to San Francisco on Saturday.  I want you to come back here
tomorrow night, plug in your Optacon, go to San Francisco and have a good
time, and don't touch your Optacon till Monday.  You're trying too hard!"

What a shock!  What a relief!  I did as she instructed and had a fantastic
weekend.

From Monday on it seemed that I couldn't make a mistake.  I had just gotten
myself too tense and upset.

I had somehow managed to forget money for the final Wednesday lunch and had
borrowed money from Martha, one of the instructors.  AT the end of the
training I wanted to try to read something written by hand.  Another teacher
was working with me that day; and I had said I wanted to see Martha to give
her money.

The teacher, whose name I unfortunately can't remember, handed me a
carefully printed piece of paper which read, "Pay Martha for lunch.

Sorry if I got a little long-winded, but what memories this thread is
bringing back!

By the way, those of you who have had your optacons since the earlier days
will remember that we were taught to always keep our machines plugged in
when not in use.  No one understand the effect constant charging had on
battery packs.  I wonder how many packs were replaced prematurely because
they were not allowed to fully discharge often enough.

Pam