Re: remembering my first experiences with the Optacon

  • From: Sharlene Wills <tenagra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

Right on, Anthony!  I use both optacon and slate and
stylus daily and carry the latter with me everywhere.
As I indicated in my survey, I was taught individually
by a TSI licensed grainer, Gail Hodge (she's married,
now, and I don't know her surname) and, when I read
that first simple training page, I simply cried for
joy!  I, like so many others, then began reading
whatever I could get my hands on, including can labels
at the supermarket, the telephone book, checks, books,
newspapers -- you name it.  I even got so that I could
read my boss's short notes to me on the bottom of
documents.  He did sort of print, but his writing was
half cursive, too.  Anyway, I say, that which is
portable, lightweight and gets the job done is the
best!
Sharlene.

=== message truncated ===