[opendtv] Re: Users as Toast: The Blocking of Google TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:37:19 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Forgive me if I am patronizing, but you can go to the Apple
> Store and watch any of it on a Windows machine.  Of course,
> you must install iTunes and Quicktime Player on your Windows
> machine but both are free.

No, I can't complain about that.

> If you did know this, are you objecting to the requirement
> of using iTunes and Quicktime?

I didn't know that the material was also viewable from PCs, so that part works
for me. What doesn't work is that, much like other similar platforms, the Apple
TV STB is limited to the sites it can use. Same problem our new LG BluRay
player has.

If you go to the trouble of making a browser for a TV set or a TV STB, why
limit the browser to just a vendor-selected set of web sites? If the device is
trying to create a simpler viewer experience, a more clever design would
perhaps provide some pre-installed sites (browsers always seem to have their
default set of bookmarks set up in PCs too), then allow the owner to change
these at will. Would it make the device any more expensive to make? I don't
think it would.

Limiting the box to just an IP stack and a browser, for Internet TV, makes a
lot of sense. I'm not sure I understand why limit beyond that, other than to
gain control over the buyers.