[opendtv] Re: TV Ratings Have Hurt Creative Side of Television, Says Netflix Content Boss Sarandos | Variety

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 01:18:07 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> VOD is also available using proprietary methods, or using IP, which
>> cable systems have implemented internally for several years.
>> Therefore, to imply that OTT sites are mostly successful because
>> they offer VOD is just plain wrong.
>
> So why are they successful Bert?

I will bother answering. They are successful because it is a value proposition
that people were not getting previously. More choice at a good price, or they
allow people to shave or cut their cord, and get some of what they might have
lost back, at a good price. OTT sites are that second supermarket in town,
Craig. Where previously you could only shop at one place, subject to that one
store's prices, now you have a potentially unlimited number of alternatives.

As to the VOD aspect, if you're a cable subscriber, and all you want is movies
on demand, or you want to watch a prime time show you might have missed, NO
NEED for OTT sites. The cable system already offers this service:

http://www.cox.com/residential/tv/on-demand.cox#freezone

So once again, I do not need to be given a long list of reasons why it's nice
to have VOD. Everyone knows why it's nice to have VOD. I'm simply pointing out
that VOD is not the sole province of OTT sites. Hence, it's not the determining
factor in why people like OTT sites.

> ALL TV Everywhere services are OTT sites;

Maybe so, but I wasn't talking about TVE. I was talking about VOD not being the
sole province of OTT sites. Or let me say it this way. VOD is not the reason
why Netflix is beating out HBO, as you claim. HBO is also available VOD. A
common feature! Therefore, there must be other reasons why Netflix is so
successful, Craig.

>>> Seriously? The Millennials will steal programs that they are not
>>> paying for?
>>
>> No problem. Just make the content available ad-supported, over a
>> Netflix or other ad-supported companion site (e.g. Hulu vs Hulu
>> Plus).
>
> Eventually many of these programs do make their way to the
> services you mention. But the authenticated sites offer live
> streams anywhere (especially important for sports),

You're off on another conversation, Craig. Following that thread I repeated
above, if you want to prevent people from stealing shows, give people the
option of watching shows ad-supported, or by subscription with fewer or no ads.
If given that option, you will see a lot less theft.